Monday, January 25, 2021

Grandma Gauw's Swiss Steak

Tastes and smells are powerful memory triggers.  We all have memories of food from our childhood that brings a smile to our face.  One of mine was my grandma Gauw's Swiss Steak.  Last year in a conversation with my mom, she told me grandma's secrets.  Dawn Fresh Mushroom Steak Sauce and cooking it in her pressure cooker.  

Like any good cook, I found a recipe and adapted it.  I'm grateful that I don't have to use my grandma's pressure cooker.  I have my Quick Cooker.  


Ingredients

To prepare the beef:

2 1/4 pounds round steak (about 3/4″ thick)

heaping 1/2 cup flour

3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

To cook the recipe:

oil as needed (3 to 5 tablespoons)

1 large yellow onion, vertically sliced, about 3/8ths to 1/2 inch thick

1/4 cup beef stock

2 6 oz cans Dawn Fresh Mushroom Steak Sauce

Instructions:

1.  Mix together flour, seasoning salt, salt, and pepper on large plate and set aside. 

2.  Cut round steak into serving pieces. Dredge steak in flour mixture.

3.  Set the Quick Cooker to SAUTE.   Once hot, add a tablespoon or two of oil. 

4.  Add meat, working in batches, adding oil as necessary, browning each side until golden, removing and setting on a large plate or platter.

5.  Add onions and beef stock; cooking for several minutes until stock has evaporated.  Hit CANCEL.

6.  Add the meat and steak sauce to inner pot.

7.  Seal Quick Cooker and set to BEEF/PORK setting and adjust time to 35 minutes.  Press START.

8.  When the timer goes off, allow 10 minutes for natural pressure release and then manually release the rest.

PC Quick Cooker

9. Serve with rice or potatoes.

Tips: 

One of the benefits of using the Quick Cooker is one pot meals, however, when browning the meat, it takes several batches and that increases the cook time.  I brown the meat on the stove in my large skillet to save time.  

I buy my Dawn Fresh Steak Sauce on Amazon.  If you are fortunate enough to have a Meijer nearby, you can get it there as well.


Click Here to Print Recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment